Skip to main content

To Share.

An Insight by Luke Cowling.

A rare insight to my private life, though probably an obvious one for those who've read my works. I love dogs. They feature heavily in my Bestiary, both volumes (and the upcoming special edition) because of how influential they've been in my life. And for those among you who are also dog lovers, you can attest to just how dramatically they change your life.

When I was young I had a small blonde Tibetan Spaniel named Leah, and for many, many years Leah was my best friend and my closet confidant. And whilst Leah is no longer with us, the affection and bond that we shared carries through to my works when I am carving out a personality for a non-human character. A dog's ability so say so much, without needing speak words was a really big inspiration in the writing of the animal companion in Owenoak.


Several years later, in my adult life, I have now have a wonderful young Kelpie named Fenrir. A bouncy boy still not out of the tenacious puppy phase. Fenrir's insatiable appetite for life has also affected my works. And the reason I refer back to their influence on my novels is that this blog was meant to be relating to the books, rather than myself.

Anyway, Fenrir. He does not as of yet have a counterpart in my works, but is rather the driving force between new works completion. His happiness is infectious. Whenever I feel as though my writing is not where I want it to be, I feel a flash of his goofy face and the simple things that bring that boy so much joy, and I can't help but be drawn to back to the simple pleasures that can be found in writing, rather than worry about how they'll be received.

LPC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Overcome.

  An Announcement by Luke Cowling. My newest book, Gearpox, launches this week! The work is the result of much time and dedication. I do not value your money, just that sweet, sweet validation. As such, all my previous works will be entirely free in kindle eBook form, for the week of release.   This includes: Owenoak – a fantasy novella set in the same universe as my newest release   Notes from the Monster Cartographer I & II – accompanying books for Owenoak, fictional encyclopedias   The Primrose Pages – a book of poetry sourced from the life I have lived thus far   Find these works here: https://www.amazon.com/L.-P.-Cowling/e/B07YW8744R%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share   Free book promotions begin Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 12:00 AM PST. So if you’re looking, and they’re not available yet, check back later.

To Smoke.

A Review by Luke Cowling. A little backstory on my interest in The Witcher series, I've played a game and I have seen the Netflix series and my opinion on the media that has resulted from that universe is really mixed. But I realise the interest in that universe just might have expanded greatly recently, so I wanted to throw my two cents in on a form of media relating to The Witcher that I received recently. This is my review of the production of the graphic novel collection produces by dark horse and cd recently, and my thoughts on how the print came out, and whether the production warrants an intrusion from your wallet. As always, thank you so much for the support, LPC.